Moments Carved in Paper: Book #1: The Librarian Made Us Do it
. . . $90 (standard edition)
. . . $430 (clamshell edition)
The Librarian Made Us Do it!, Book no. 1 of our series entitled Moments Carved in Paper is the story of how Lead Graffiti came to be falling in love with the process, creativity & history of printing slowly & patiently via letterpress.
While the aha! moment was actually a true moment in time, it is a series of interconnected stories acting as stepping stones that got Lead Graffiti to where we are today. From initiating a Visual Communications study abroad to London and a New York field trip to a typographer, to an instructor at the Royal College of Art and the librarian at London’s St. Bride Printing Library who picked the one book to show our group that could have had the impact. Yep, the story was as simple as that.
The book follows the format of our first 3 books in our Moments Carved in Paper series.
• 5" x 9", 18 pages, bound in a flutter-book format, printed in an edition of 115 numbered copies
• cover printed on St. Armand Colors Caribou 250 gsm
• text printed via letterpress on Somerset Textured White 300 gsm stock
• the Life Magazine photo page was inkjet-printed on Entrada Rag Bright 300 gsm
• one tipped-in, inkjet-printed photo, one photo inkject-printed directly on the Somerset, and one inlay of dots
The custom handmade clamshell is wrapped in a special Lead Graffiti pastepaper and contains
• 15 clamshell copies containing a standard edition book, numbered 1 - 15
• complete issue of LIFE Magazine - The Millennium–100 Events That Changed The World Fall 1997 Double Issue
• complete issue of The Monotype Recorder Commemorating an Exhibition of Lettering and Type Designs by Eric Gill published in 1958
• an original of the first printed piece by Ray Nichols & Jill Cypher, at Raven Press at the University of Delaware, a postcard for Bakvaraz!, a typography exhibition
• Snippets, an early letterpress piece designed and printed by Ray Nichols & Jill Cypher with Visual Communications students at Raven Press at the University of Delaware, which used a number of small, "tied" lockups of type that had been collected from a variety of sources and resided in the Raven Press collection, along with a variety of applications of various typefaces held in the collection
SHIPPING NOTE : Shipping to the U.S. or overseas is included in the purchase of the books. Choose carefully from the pulldown menu above to reflect proper shipping destinations. The only exception to the above is if you are purchasing multiple copies of the Moments Carved In Paper series (may be different titles) or picking up the books at our Newark, Delaware, studio whereyou can choose the last option without shipping.
Calculating shipping costs for Internet sales is a nightmare. We are generally charging the highest rate within the various categories. If we've charged you more than $1 extra for the shipping charges than we paid + the cost of the packaging, the difference will be refunded.