Moments Carved in Paper, Book #3: Switching On: Grading as a textbook
. . . $95 (standard edition)
. . . $355 (clamshell edition)
Originally when Ray Nichols graded, an "A" grade was in the 90s and a "B" grade was in the 80s. Then he discovered adhesive dots and the importance of the distinction between work that was interesting versus work that was not interesting.
Book no. 3: Switching On: Grading as a Textbook of our autobiographical series, Moments Carved in Paper, focuses on the three grading systems (dots, shelves, and tennis tournament) Ray developed over his tenure for his graphic & advertising design courses, a career for which he was awarded the title of Grandmaster by the Art Directors Club of New York.
It was this series of strategic grading systems coupled with Ray's insightful critiquing style that contributed significantly to his students' creative success in the advertising industry. Over a 3-decade career of teaching, Ray's grading processes helped students build a structure upon which they could make their own thoughtful creative decisions.
The book follows the format of our first 3 books in our Moments Carved in Paper series.
• 5" x 9", 18 pages, bound in a flutter-book format, printed in an edition of 115 numbered copies
• cover printed on St. Armand Tomato Red 320 gsm
• text printed via letterpress on Somerset Textured White 300 gsm stock
• one tipped-in, inkjet-printed photo, one photo inkject-printed directly on the Somerset, and one inlay of dots
The custom handmade clamshell is wrapped in a special Lead Graffiti pastepaper and contains
• 15 clamshell copies containing a standard edition book, numbered 1 - 15
• an early edition copy of Ray's favorite book on creative problem solving entitled, The Universal Traveler: A Soft Systems Guide to Creativity, Problem-Solving and the Process of Reaching Goals
SHIPPING NOTE : Shipping to the U.S. or overseas is included in the purchase of the books. Choose carefully from the pulldown menu above to reflect proper shipping destinations. The only exception to the above is if you are purchasing multiple copies of the Moments Carved In Paper series (may be different titles) or picking up the books at our Newark, Delaware, studio whereyou can choose the last option without shipping.
Calculating shipping costs for Internet sales is a nightmare. We are generally charging the highest rate within the various categories. If we've charged you more than $1 extra for the shipping charges than we paid + the cost of the packaging, the difference will be refunded.