Unfortunately, we don't have anything scheduled.
Send us an email or give us a call at (302) 454-1411 to express your interest or schedule for a group.
Simple books workshop
variable working techniques, hours & price,
all materials, handouts and snacks included
What does this workshop cover?
We offer single-technique workshops and various combinations of multiple book formats.When selecting these "Simple Book" workshops, be mindful of the varying contents of each, which we've tried to make clear in the workshop's title. The link at the top to the full workshop schedule also shows the complete workshop title (search for "simple").
Some of the bookmaking formats covered in these "simple book" workshops include:
- Meander book: Used for our highly successful "Creative Letterpress" workshops, this blank version results in a 14-page, hard cover book that is assembled without gluing or sewing
- Flutter book: We utilize this format on our personal book project "Moments carved in Paper"
- Pamphlet-stitched: Basic and enduring, this simple stitch results in books as elegant or utilitarian as you like.
- Accordion books: This elementary tehnique accommodates all sorts of unusual contents and offers surprising variations.
- Matchbook-style books: Operating like a book of matches, this small book makes a useful gift with its tear off cards.
- Single-sheet book: As its name suggests, a single sheet of paper is all it takes to make a handy book.
- Flower fold book: Some simple foling and a ittle glue make a charming book that "blooms" as it opens
If you've taken our pastepaper workshop it can often be nice for you to bring one or more of the sheets to use in the workshop.
For this workshop
- No prerequisite, lasts 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on content
- Ages 9 to adult
- Tools and materials provided (bring your own paste paper or other decorative paper for covers, if desired
- Wear comfortable shoes and work clothes
- Bring a camera and notebook to record the day
- Create takeaway reference cards for knots and sewing patterns
- Showcase of a variety of samples showing binding options
- Discussion of papers and paper grain
- Use of bone folder for scoring, creasing and tearing
- Measure and make punching jigs (patterns)
- Use of book cradle and punching with an awl
- Thread and needle usage, sewing variations
- Gluing techniques and adhesive options
- Use of additional equipment such as perforator, corner rounder, Accucut die cutter