Unfortunately, we don't have anything scheduled.
Send us an email or give us a call at (302) 454-1411 to express your interest or schedule for a group.
Hoe iron handpress (future offering)
prerequisite: metal type composition
5 working hours plus a light lunch, $120 per attendee.
Note that some workshops have restricted access. Know you're on the approved list before registering.
All necessary materials will be supplied.
Wear comfortable shoes and work clothing.
Our Hoe Washington #5 iron handpress, built around 1869 with a printing area of 25" x 38" and our 1890 Albion, built around 1890 with a printing area of 21" x 29", offer an opportunity to print with old-school methods.
- press safety
- imposition for multiple pages
- printing large woodcuts and linocuts
- locking up the form with furniture & quoins
- tympan & frisket assembly
- paper dampening and registration
- inking methods with rollers & inkballs
- hand feeding and removing stock
- press clean up
- redistributing type
We will cover both the printing of large wood cuts / linoleum block cuts and multi-page book imposition. This press is a bit of a physical workout, but you are truly in touch with historical printing techniques. We are currently having a tympan and frisket made. One we have those we will be able to offer this workshop.
Typical projects can include
- very large broadsides & posters
- group projects